Physiotherapy interventions include, but are by no means limited to, the following broad categories of:
- Education, consultation, health promotion and prevention services.
- Therapeutic exercise including testing and conditioning, neurotherapeutic approaches, and a carefully selected range of active, passive and assisted exercise.
- Soft tissue and manual therapy techniques; including massage, spinal and peripheral joint mobilization and manipulation.
- Physical, electrotherapeutic and mechanical agents; and acupuncture.
- Cardiorespiratory techniques including airway clearance methods.
Skin and wound care.
- Management of incontinence including pelvic floor re-education.
- Functional activity training and work re-training.
- Prescription, fabrication and application of assistive, adaptive, supportive and protective devices and equipment.
- Environmental change, focusing on removing barriers to function.